Most travelers look for a warm place to escape the cold during winter. This is not only a choice for us, but also a natural process in many species worldwide; today, we are talking specifically about whales.
Some species, such as humpback whales, migrate from north to south to warmer waters in the Puerto Vallarta sea, which is why, year after year, the whale watching of this species in a natural spectacle is a jewel, even from the balcony of your hotel’s room.
Before visiting the humpback whales
- Its size depends on its usual location; the whales that live in cold places usually weigh about 50 tons, unlike those that live in tropical areas, which weigh around 30 tons.
- The heart of this type of whale can weigh up to 1,700 oz; it is gigantic!
- It is one of the species that sings the most (but only the males do), and its sound can be heard up to 100 miles away.
- The gestation period of the females is eleven months, and their young can drink up to 3,300 fl. oz. of milk a day.
- The consistency of her milk is so thick that it looks like yogurt.
- Believe it or not, they have hair. Along its jaw and chin are golf ball-sized bumps called tubercles, but anatomically they are shaped like a hair follicle and are used to detect prey, temperature changes, and water currents.
- They hunt by a net of bubbles; they create them to corner their prey.
- Their average age is 40 and 50 years, and in captivity, up to 60 years.
- They love to stay on the surface, and although they can last up to 1 hour underwater, they usually submerge only between 8 and 15 minutes.
- Their swimming is very slow, reaching around 16 miles per hour.
Whale watching in Vallarta
From mid-December to mid-April, humpback whales arrive in the Bay of Banderas. Its water has the perfect temperature to spend the winter and especially to mate, give birth, and for the calves to learn to swim in the calm currents of the region.
In Puerto Vallarta, many official tours have special certifications to take care of the environment of these giants, such as EcoTours Vallarta, Vallarta Adventures, or Vallarta Natours. Review the options and live unique experiences on your vacation.
You could also pack some binoculars if you have an ocean view from your hotel because these cetaceans come out to play, and you can see them perfectly in the morning.
Enjoy the experience!