Celebrations of Puerto Vallarta’s Double Anniversary.
By Cesar Lerma
Edited by Haydé Escalante
Translated by Nyima Bieber
Every year several festivities are organized to commemorate this beautiful and historic port, and 2014 will be no exception. On Saturday May 31st Puerto Vallarta celebrates its double anniversary: 96 years as a municipality as 46 as a city.
The port’s celebration began on May 16th at 9:30pm with a concert by Puerto Rican tenor Max Torres, accompanied by the New Continental Mariachi at the city’s lighthouse –a legendary PV landmark. The event’s audience was delighted by the Torres’ voice supported by the sounds of the full Mariachi band.
Joining the festivities the Instituto Vallartense de Cultura and Secretaría de Cultura del Estado have organized the XVII Meeting of Interior Theater from the 24th to 31st of May at the Cuale Cultural Center and Teatro Vallarta. The event will feature 10 plays and host several workshops on topics related to the theater arts.
The city’s celebration will culminate on May 31st on Palmares beach, with the presentation of the 2014 ´Ignacio Luis Vallarta Ogazón ‘ award, which recognizes people who have excelled in different areas of the city.
Puerto Vallarta’s History:
Founded on December 12th, 1851 Puerto Vallarta was originally called Las Peñas de Santa María. Eventually it grew and in 1885 was officially established under the name of La Peña.
On May 31st 1918 the town received the title of municipality and from that day took the name of Puerto Vallarta in honor of Jalisco’s then-governor, Ignacio L. Vallarta. In 1968 it officially became the city of Puerto Vallarta.
¿Buscas la versión en español?