Things to do
Before you jet off on your exciting vacation, there are a number of important steps travelers must take before going to Mexico. But you don’t have to be a travel expert to prepare for your Mexican adventure. From securing your passport many weeks in advance to learning a few helpful phrases in Spanish, here are 14 easy-to-follow tips how to prepare for a trip to Mexico:
- Make sure you have a valid US Passport that has not expired.
- Obtain a visa only if you are traveling to Mexico for over 180 days.
- Get up to date on all of your routine vaccines and immunizations.
- Check if your destination is prone to frequent malaria outbreaks.
- Learn a handful of Spanish phrases to help you communicate with the locals.
- Learn about the history and culture of the region you are visiting.
- Check your health insurance coverage before you leave for international plans.
- Keep up on current events on the ground and travel alerts for Mexico.
- Get in touch with the US embassy to let them know your schedule and plans.
- Don’t bring expensive items like jewelry or electronics with you.
- Copy your vital information like itinerary and passports to leave with a family member.
- Don’t forget sunscreen, sunglasses, hat, umbrella and clothes for comfort.
- Have the US Post Office hold or forward your mail while you are gone.
- Tell your bank and credit card companies that you are traveling outside of the country